Here’s Launch Pad’s update on what’s been happening in the Western Sydney Innovation and Technology Community. Know someone else who might benefit from this? Feel free to forward this on. They can also subscribe here.
Get the latest news from Launch Pad and the Western Sydney Innovation and Technology Community.
Launch Pad has been running and participating in lots more events and workshops, from Showcase Day for our startups to Innovation Challenges for our students. Read this newsletter to get an idea of some of the programs we’ve been running and find out how you can be involved.
Remember – once health order restrictions are removed, Launch Pad will be moving into the new Parramatta Engineering Innovation Hub at 6 Hassall Street.
Launch Pad Update
The founders shared their entrepreneurial journey and pitched their startups via a new showcase format. Michael Starkey, Co-founder and COO of Athena Home Loans, also joined as a keynote speaker to celebrate the startups’ hard work and shared his startup success story. Watch the Demo Day recording here. For founders looking to get involved with future programs, applications are now open for our 2022 accelerator. Apply early to increase your chances through early acceptance.
Together with foundation partner DXC Technology, Launch Pad hosted a two-day innovation hackathon as part of Venture Makers, its new entrepreneurship training and development program. Following from the challenge event, a Showcase Event will be held from 10:30-12:00 on Friday 26 November 2021 where students will pitch their ideas to a panel of experts. Come along and see how our 7 Finalist Teams have further developed their ideas in response to the Digital Identity Challenge.
Launch Pad has successfully delivered a 20-week entrepreneurship training program to SKUAST Kashmir startup students in India
The 12-module training program by Venture Makers is organised under the sponsorship of the World Bank-ICAR funded National Agricultural Higher Education Project (NAHEP) for the institutional development of the SKUAST-K. Students created innovative ideas for Agri-Tech and pitched to a Shark Tank panel at the end of the program.
Launch Pad is collaborating with Sydney School of Entrepreneurship to create a new Virtual Startup Internship Program
This free, flexible and fully online program will help students from WSU and other universities gain real-world experience with three innovative startups while also providing them insights into the future of our economy and the startups that are helping define it. The program is launching soon! Click here to learn more and register to be notified when it launches.
Launch Pad delivers entrepreneurship training through Venture Makers to Vietnam campus
Launch Pad is exposing the university’s offshore Vietnamese students to the best international startup ecosystems and cultures in order to produce entrepreneurs who think globally. We have successfully piloted 2 batches of Venture Makers Programs with a third stage planned for late 2021.
You will support our mission to provide a supportive ecosystem for early-stage businesses in the Western Sydney region by being responsible for the development and activation of the Launch Pad partners and ecosystem members. Learn more about the role here. Applications close 8:30 pm Monday 4 October 2021.
The next Western 4.0 breakfast will be held on Thursday 28th October and will feature presentations by Stephan Wagner and Peter Milic from AusIndustry talking about Government Funding Programs. Stephan and Peter’s presentations will outline case studies of businesses they have helped and describe how Government funding has provided a boost to grow and develop new initiatives. Breakfasts are held on a regular 6/8 week basis and membership is by invitation only. Click here for more information and email John Scilly, our Smart Manufacturing Co-ordinator.
Western Sydney University launches its vision for the Agri-Tech Hub, a state-of-the-art commercial greenhouse facility that will act as a co-location space for industry and research as part of the University’s plan to deliver technology uptake in a critical sector of the economy, nationally and across Western Sydney.
Our Students, Startups & SMEs
WSU Venture Maker, John Teague – an experienced software and product developer studying the Bachelor of Industrial Design (Honours) with a major in Technology Entrepreneurship – said Venture Makers was an opportunity to utilise his skills as an Industrial Designer to expand his professional network. “Throughout my career I’ve put into action what’s possible in the digital world and now is the time to bridge the digital with the tangible,” said John. Read more about his Venture Makers experience here.
WSU Venture Maker, Susan Manners, a PhD candidate within the university’s Translational Health Research Institute with a passion for bettering the health system – said digital identities are happening right now, and will affect everyone. Read more about her view on improving digital health identities here.
Launch Pad startup founder, Megna Murali came into the SydWest Accelerator Program with just an idea on a page. Now, after 6 months, she received the NSW Government MVP Grant, and is now in the market with her product Convert Dial. Read more about her Launch Pad Accelerator experience here.
“I’ve found the last 6 months such an amazing learning experience and such an amazing networking experience. I have met some amazing founders and mentors during the process.” Launch Pad startup founder, David Palacios, KartaSoft, shared his SydWest Accelerator Program experience. Read the full article here.
Congratulations to Launch Pad startup founder, Sandra Pires, Yesterday Stories for making it as a finalist for Most Outstanding Startup at the IMB Business Illawarra Awards! Read the full article here.
- CLIMATE – Western Sydney University commits to ambitious energy targets as part of climate action
- JOBS – Western Sydney University launches high-tech jobs ‘accelerator’ vision for the West
- EDUCATION – Western Sydney University continues to rise in prestigious global rankings
- SKILLS – Western Sydney University’s emerging student designers showcased in Maxton Fox collection of chairs
- TECHNOLOGY – Western Sydney University’s ICNS and Intel to jointly develop a brain-inspired computer system
Launch Pad TV – Free Business Skills Training
- Minimum Viable Product (MVP) and Accelerating Commercialisation (AC) Grant | Stephan Wagner at AusIndustry
- Can I patent that? IP Webinar | Stuart Campbell, FBRice and Launch Pad Mentor
- Getting your organisation employment-ready | Paayal Jattan, Perform HR
- Growth Marketing – Acquisition Strategies | Anna Cheng, SEO Growth Lead at HealthMatch
- Growth Marketing 101 | Will Wang, CEO of Growth Labz
- Preparing your startup for financial success | Alex Zinzopoulos, William Buck
- Australian graphic design tool startup Canva raises $200M on massive $40B valuation.
- Australia’s $1 billion tech funding boom highlights the role of startups in economic growth.
- Australia’s first biotech incubator is happening thanks to a $40 million grant.
- Australia’s largest event connecting businesses, innovators and startups Spark Festival is on again this Oct 13-28.
- The 2021 Global Startup Ecosystem Report (GSER) from Startup Genome and the Global Entrepreneurship Network was just released.
- Sydney Water is announcing the launch of its inaugural Innovation Festival which will take place October 18-20.